Monday, September 10, 2007

Yummy brunch in the South Side

Another awesome pick by Kavita this weekend. I wish I could take credit for finding these places, but I only document the wonder of their existence in Pittsburgh.

We headed over to the South Side this weekend. The original plan was to go for tapas, but Kavita remembered a great little brunch place called Zenith. It's an antique shop/brunch buffet. The first room is entirely antiques. Walk to the back to get to the restaurant. There are two dining rooms, we sat in the sunny one.

For $10, you get to choose one entree (six choices that morning), coffee or tea, and you get the buffet. The buffet had 10 salads and a bunch of desserts. I had no dessert, since I chose strawberry pancakes with banana topping for my entree. :) A very good choice.

The salads were all good, but the peanut butter pasta salad was definitely the best. I'll admit that their peanut butter sauce beats mine. They had yalanchi too (grape leaves stuffed with cold rice salad), but someone didn't know how to select good grape leaves that aren't tough. Admittedly, no one's yalanchi is better than grandma's, so everyone else will probably think it's fine. The rest was all delicious.

The $10 deal is only for Sunday brunch, but they have an expanded menu during the rest of the week. www.zenithpgh.com

And, if you particularly liked your table, you could purchase that too. There were some cool things, though not everything had a price tag on it. The few priced items were expensive, but the food was a good deal and very tasty.

P.S. Nels points out that I neglected to mention that the place is entirely vegetarian. I'd guess that over half of the menu is also vegan. They also bring you soy milk for your coffee by default, though they ask if you would prefer cream.

2 comments:

Nels said...

Hey, I like Zenith too! Although, strangly you neglected to mention the fact that it is a vegan brunch, which I believe is its most distinguishing feature...

Nels said...

I spelled strangely wrong!