Sunday, May 11, 2008

I might have overestimated

Unlike software engineering, where we usually underestimate projects, gardeners typically overestimate. This is bad. I have too many radishes, and I feel guilty about composting perfectly good food.

The problem is that in January, it's snowing out, and the seed companies send off catalogs of seeds and plants. I spent several evenings drawing and planning, and then I ordered way more seeds than I could ever hope to handle. I even ordered things I don't even like. Why radishes? Because they grow in 30 days, that's why! I won't eat them, but they are so satisfying to yank out of the ground. And 30 days! Yay! A fully green garden by May!

So I get all my seeds in February, and I start up baby tomatoes, cukes, flowers, herbs, and brocs in March. And I plant way to many seeds and end up with too many starts.

Oh, but I can't throw any away! It's cold out and I love the little green baby plants in my window. So I keep them all and plant them all.

But the garden is so baren still. So what do I do? Drop in ALL of the seeds in the lettuce, radish, and carrot packets. Stick 40 onion sets in the ground. Put up a trellis for 6 pea plants. Buy pansys, petunias, and marigolds and fill in the bare spots...

Yeah. It's been 30 days. Too many radishes.

No comments: